Monday, November 21, 2016

Changes!!

November 21, 2016

Hi Family!!!

Well I didn't have changes this week but Elder Evans did.  So he left and I'm training Elder Gonzales who just got here from the Provo MTC.  He's from Monroe Washington.  He's a great guy and a hard worker!
 
So on Tuesday we went around with Elder Evans to say goodbye to some of the people he met here in Las Palmas.  On Wednesday morning we went to change meeting early and sent off Elder Evans and the new people from our zone got on the bus and went back (but I stayed at the chapel for the trainers and news meeting.  One of the new Elders in our zone unfortunately is another Elder Smith that got here about 3 months ago.  Elder Smiths just follow me around I swear.  The training meeting was awesome because Elder Diaz, Elder Aitken, and Elder Peterson (with me in Juigalpa) were also training.  So we had fun catching up a bit.  Then I got Elder Gonzales, we got a subway (that in past days I was the one buying as a secretary:) )  Then we got back to the area at about noon and got to work.

    Umm the highlight of the week was the baptism of Carlos.  He was very excited for it.  He's half paralyzed from getting shot in the head in the civil war here when he was twelve.  I baptized because I honestly didn'
t trust it with anyone else who might've been too chicken to use enough force to get him under.  I was actually in the font for like 5 minutes talking with the bishop toiling with the idea of sitting him in a chair for it or something, but we decided his knee would come up as we tilted the chair back.  Eventually we just did it normally and instructed him to bend down as much as he could.  When he was almost down he started flailing a bit and his knee was coming up so I just gave him one final shove and got him under.  I'm relieved it worked the first try because if not I'm not sure what would´ve happened.  

Hunberto's story isn't quite as happy for this week.  We passed by all week and just couldn't seem to find him.  His family always came out and gave different excuses about where he was and why he wasn't home.  It happened long enough it became clear he was just hiding from us.  Eventually on Thursday night we passed by with the bishop and they said he was home but he wouldn't come out.  Eventually his wife (not a member) came out and said he was so embarrassed and ashamed that he wouldn't come out.  Why was he embarrassed and ashamed?  Because he had told us clearly he wanted to get baptized on Saturday but changed his mind.  The really frustrating part was that we can't tell what went wrong or how we can help him because he just started hiding from us.  So we're giving him a bit of a break and hoping that with some time he'll talk to us so we can help him out.
Nathan disappeared as well and didn't come back until Saturday night.  Apparently he got a job.  He said he got this Saturday and Sunday off so he can get baptized.  We'll see.  He's a bit of a flaky guy but some prayers in his direction wouldn't hurt.
 
David, Stella, and David all went to church.  They decided very firmly that they'll get married and baptized on the 3rd of December and the bishop came over and they made plans for the wedding with stuff about the lawyer, food and arrangements etc.  We're going to eat Vigoron (just google it).  
[Vigorón is a traditional Nicaraguan dish. It consists of a cabbage salad known as curtido (chopped cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and chili pepper marinated in vinegar and salt), boiled yuca, and chicharrones (fried pork belly or fried pork rinds) wrapped in Banana leaf].  I don't really like it.  Also Angie came to church.  Also Carlos came and got confirmed.  Also a slightly drunk guy showed up but seemed to enjoy church greatly.
  
Today was a good p-day.  After studying we got our hair cut at a member's house that cuts it for free.  We also went to plaza inter and got some carne asada (thanks mom and dad I used my card.   I guess that's my thanksgiving meal).  Then we went back to Malecon (the place with the airplane) with the zone and hung out a bit.
 
Earlier in the week I got kind of sick with a runny nose and a really sore throat and a fever but I'm better now. 

Well, I hope you all have a great week and a great thanksgiving!! 

I'm thankful for all of the wonderful blessings I've received.  Firstly I'm thankful for a loving Savior that was willing to suffer for my sins to give me the opportunity to overcome death and sin and live with him again.  I'm thankful for a wonderful family that has given me everything I have and been by my side every step of my life and in every decision I've made.  I'm thankful for the opportunity I have to serve the people here in Nicaragua and share with them the gospel.

Love,

Elder Smith

PS One thing I'm really not very thankful for is rice.  

Cody and his new companion Elder Gonzales. 
Carlos' baptism

At Malecon




No comments:

Post a Comment